Ground Training Lesson 20
1.5 Hours Ground
by Philip Greenspun and Kasim Te; revised July 2008
Developed for students at East Coast Aero Club which operated under FAR Part 141 from July 2008 through July 2010.
Site Home : Flying : Helicopter 141 : CFI : One Item
The student will assume the instructor's role and present a
classroom lecture on aviation weather services.
- Methods of Collecting Weather Data
- Surface observations
- Upper air observations
- Satellite observations
- Radar observations
- Pilot reports - pireps
- Prior/Current Weather Conditions
- Surface weather chart
- Weather depiction chart
- Radar summary chart
- Winds aloft chart
- Forecast Aviation Weather
- Area forecast - FA
- Terminal Aerodrome Forecast - TAF
- Winds aloft forecast - FD
- Severe weather warnings
- Metar and TAF Codes
- Weather Information Sources
- the best public weather Web sites
- aviation digital data service (ADDS)
- dedicated weather computers at FBOs, e.g., WSI and Meteorlogix
This lesson will be complete when, by oral examination, the student
is able to explain and teach the topics in the lesson.
- The student shall prepare a lesson plan, lecture notes, and review questions as necessary to teach this material.
- Aviation Weather Services, FAA AC 00-45F
Instructor's Evaluation and Recommendations:
Ground Training Record, Lesson 20
Any deviations from the completion standards should be noted in the previous section.
After completing an item in the Elements section, place a check mark next to that item.
- Student Name:
- Instructor Name/CFI#/expiration:
- Instructor Endorsement:
- Date of Lesson: