Flight Training Lesson 11
2 Hours Dual; Pre/Post Flight Discussion 0.75 Hours
by Philip Greenspun and Kasim Te; revised January 2008
Developed for students at East Coast Aero Club which operated under FAR Part 141 from July 2008 through July 2010.
Site Home : Flying : Helicopter 141 : Instrument : One Item
This lesson will introduce the student to the requirements for a
legal circle-to-land approach. The first portion of this lesson will
be conducted under IFR and will refresh the student's knowledge of
flight planning and IFR procedures. The IFR clearance will be
canceled once established on the approach at the destination
airport (ideally greater than 25 n.m. away).
- IFR cross-country flight planning
- obtaining IFR clearance
- using the IFR system
- non-precision approaches
- precision approaches
- circle to land horizontal maximums
- canceling IFR
- student plans flight to PYM entirely by him or herself
- instructor reviews flight plan and jointly files
- depart BED for PYM, requesting a practice ILS 6 approach
- cancel IFR before switching to CTAF
- upon reaching circling minimums, circle to land on another runway
- breakfast or lunch at Plane Jane's!
- depart PYM VFR for another ILS 6
- request advisories and practice approaches from Boston, starting with OWD, LOC 35 or, if equipped for LPV, GPS 35 downt to the LPV minimum
- ILS back to BED
- FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook
- FAA Instrument Flying Handbook
- Robinson R22/R44 IFR Trainer
- R22/R44 P.O.H.
The student will demonstrate increased proficiency in all VOR
procedures and exhibit a basic understanding of holding
Instructor's Evaluation and Recommendations:
Flight Training Record, Lesson 11
Any deviations from the completion standards should be noted in previous section.
After completing a maneuver listed under Introduction, place a check mark next to that maneuver.
Assign grades of Above Standard, Meets Standard, or Below Standard to maneuvers listed under Review.
- Student Name:
- Instructor Name/CFI#/expiration:
- Date of Lesson:
- Aircraft Type/Registration:
- Route of Flight:
- Number of Landings:
- Hours Dual/Solo:
- Hours Cross-Country:
- Hours Night:
- Hours Simulated Instrument: