Flight Training Lesson 12
1.5 Hours Dual; Pre/Post Flight Discussion 0.75 Hours
by Philip Greenspun and Kasim Te; revised January 2008
Developed for students at East Coast Aero Club which operated under FAR Part 141 from July 2008 through July 2010.
Site Home : Flying : Helicopter 141 : Instrument : One Item
Airwork plus holding and two approaches at the local airport.
The instructor will give the student holding instructions for a
- steep turns
- recovering from unusual attitudes
- non-precision approach
- precision approach
- circle to land
- non-published hold
- option to call ATC stating "minimum fuel"
- depart NW to practice area for airwork
- steep turns and unusual attitudes
- give student a bizarre holding instruction based on a radial and DME from the LWM VOR
- discuss fuel situation in the hold and remind student that it is possible to call ATC stating "minimum fuel"
- after a few turns in the hold, request a squawk code for practice approaches Boston Approach
- request vectors ILS 29 approach, with vectors VOR 23 on the missed
- circle to land 29
- FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook
- FAA Instrument Flying Handbook
- Robinson R22/R44 IFR Trainer
- R22/R44 P.O.H.
The student will conduct a proper entry into the hold and, within
three turns, get the inbound leg within +/- 15 seconds of 1 minute.
The student will demonstrate readiness for the Stage II Flight
Instructor's Evaluation and Recommendations:
Flight Training Record, Lesson 12
Any deviations from the completion standards should be noted in previous section.
After completing a maneuver listed under Introduction, place a check mark next to that maneuver.
Assign grades of Above Standard, Meets Standard, or Below Standard to maneuvers listed under Review.
- Student Name:
- Instructor Name/CFI#/expiration:
- Date of Lesson:
- Aircraft Type/Registration:
- Route of Flight:
- Number of Landings:
- Hours Dual/Solo:
- Hours Cross-Country:
- Hours Night:
- Hours Simulated Instrument: