Flight Training Lesson 15
2.5 Hours Dual; Pre/Post Flight Discussion 0.75 Hours
by Philip Greenspun and Kasim Te; revised January 2008
Developed for students at East Coast Aero Club which operated under FAR Part 141 from July 2008 through July 2010.
Site Home : Flying : Helicopter 141 : Instrument : One Item
This lesson will help the student build partial-panel flying skills
and introduce the student to PAR approaches.
- Preflight check of instruments, equipment and systems
- Departure into IMC
- Compass errors
- circle to land
- Failure of attitude indicator and directional gyro or HSI
- Partial-panel straight and level flight
- Partial-panel climbs and descents
- Partial-panel change of airspeed
- Partial-panel timed standard-rate turns
- Using GPS track readout as a substitute DG (if aircraft so equipped)
- Partial-panel non-precision approach
- PAR approach
- request sqawk code from ground for VFR practice approaches at LWM and PSM
- depart BED on a heading of 360 and request no-gyro vectors for an ILS approach to runway 5 at LWM
- cover the DG/HSI
- request no-gyro vectors to PSM with a PAR approach at PSM (weekdays only)
- uncover the DG/HSI, disable the nav radio and GPS, and fly the PAR approach at PSM
- take a break at PSM
- ifr departure from the runway if available, a great place to practice a 0/0 departure
- cover the attitude indicator and request vectors for a partial panel VOR 23 approach to LWM
- uncover the attitude indicator
- return to BED with an ILS 29 full stop
- FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook
- FAA Instrument Flying Handbook
- Robinson R22/R44 IFR Trainer
- R22/R44 P.O.H.
The student should demonstrated improved consistency in controlling
the aircraft by reference to a partial panel of instruments. The
student should be able to fly the PAR approach to minimums.
Instructor's Evaluation and Recommendations:
Flight Training Record, Lesson 15
Any deviations from the completion standards should be noted in previous section.
After completing a maneuver listed under Introduction, place a check mark next to that maneuver.
Assign grades of Above Standard, Meets Standard, or Below Standard to maneuvers listed under Review.
- Student Name:
- Instructor Name/CFI#/expiration:
- Date of Lesson:
- Aircraft Type/Registration:
- Route of Flight:
- Number of Landings:
- Hours Dual/Solo:
- Hours Cross-Country:
- Hours Night:
- Hours Simulated Instrument: