Flight Training Lesson 19
2.0 Hours Dual; Pre/Post Flight Discussion 0.75 Hours
by Philip Greenspun and Kasim Te; revised January 2008
Developed for students at East Coast Aero Club which operated under FAR Part 141 from July 2008 through July 2010.
Site Home : Flying : Helicopter 141 : Instrument : One Item
During this lesson the student will review instrument cross-country
procedures. If weather conditions permit, the flight include a localizer back course approach.
- IFR cross-country planning
Filing an IFR flight plan
Obtaining an IFR clearance
- Obtaining weather information
- Aircraft performance, limitations, and systems
- Cockpit management
IFR departure procedures and clearances
IFR en route procedures and clearances
LOC BC approach
missed approach and holding procedures
Localizer or GPS approach
Partial panel non-precision approach procedures
- Clearance copying
- Clearance read back
- file IFR to EWB
- fly to EWB for the LOC BC approach there; do some partial panel flying on the way
- fly the published missed with a couple of turns in the hold
- fly the ILS and land to take a break
- return towards BED VFR with a practice no-gyro GPS approach at OWD
- fly a no-gyro ILS at BED and land
- FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook
- FAA Instrument Flying Handbook
- Robinson R22/R44 IFR Trainer
- R22/R44 P.O.H.
The student should demonstrate progress towards instrument pilot
proficiency, as outlined in the current FAA instrument rating
Practical Test Standards, in each of the listed procedures.
Instructor's Evaluation and Recommendations:
Flight Training Record, Lesson 19
Any deviations from the completion standards should be noted in previous section.
After completing a maneuver listed under Introduction, place a check mark next to that maneuver.
Assign grades of Above Standard, Meets Standard, or Below Standard to maneuvers listed under Review.
- Student Name:
- Instructor Name/CFI#/expiration:
- Date of Lesson:
- Aircraft Type/Registration:
- Route of Flight:
- Number of Landings:
- Hours Dual/Solo:
- Hours Cross-Country:
- Hours Night:
- Hours Simulated Instrument: