Flight Training Lesson 10
1.0 Hour Dual; Pre/Post Flight Discussion 1.0 Hours
by Philip Greenspun and Kasim Te; revised August 2006
Developed for students at East Coast Aero Club which operated under FAR Part 141 from July 2008 through July 2010.
Site Home : Flying : Helicopter 141 : Private : One Item
Continue building proficiency in pre-solo maneuvers and review any area(s) of weakness as determined by the instructor. Student will be introduced to quick stops and hover autorotations. Student will review systems and equipment malfunctions and emergency procedures.
- Visual inspection
- Quick stops (rapid decelerations)
- Caution and warning lights
- Governor-failure/governor-off operations
- Low rotor RPM recognition and recovery
- Hover autorotations
- Electrical fire/cockpit smoke
- Tachometer failure
- 0-60 minutes: Drive to helicopter hangar and preflight inspection, conducted by student with instructor review
- 60-70: Startup
- 70-80: Student air/hover taxis to Taxiway Whiskey or Romeo for hover practice
- 80-95: Air taxi and quick stops at Hanscom
- 95-110: Patterns with normal takeoffs and approaches, each pattern involving a different challenge (alternator failure, governor failure with low RPM, warning lights, etc)
- 110-120: Three hover autorotations on the East Ramp just before returning to the hangar (do these last because when light on fuel so the skids won't suffer high impact loads)
- 120-140: Put helicopter away
- 140-150: Discussion
- FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook
- Robinson R22/R44 Helicopter
- R22/R44 P.O.H.
The student will show progress in any area(s) of weakness and will further improve control coordination through the introduction of quick stops. Student will gain understanding of emergency procedures for system and equipment malfunctions.
Instructor's Evaluation and Recommendations:
Flight Training Record, Lesson 10
Any deviations from the completion standards should be noted in previous section.
After completing a maneuver listed under Introduction, place a check mark next to that maneuver.
Assign grades of Above Standard, Meets Standard, or Below Standard to maneuvers listed under Review.
- Student Name:
- Instructor Name/CFI#/expiration:
- Date of Lesson:
- Aircraft Type/Registration:
- Route of Flight:
- Number of Landings:
- Hours Dual/Solo:
- Hours Cross-Country:
- Hours Night:
- Hours Simulated Instrument: