Things to think about:
- What does the client want: functions, design preferences, performance, process, etc.?
- In what priority? What tradeoffs is client willing to make?
- What do we think the client should keep, change, drop, add?
- Why? Business reasons? Technical reasons?
- Why did the client want to do it that way?
- Do the preferences persist?
- What's driving the preferences? rationally held opinions or facts? or, emotional/ political factors?
- Which battles are worth fighting?
- What's the best we can hope for: total victory, or acceptable compromise?
- How can we persuade them to change their mind?
- Who should be involved?
- is there a written plan?
- is there a designated manager/ decision-maker?
- is there a regular review meeting, with a written agenda going in and minutes coming out?
copyright 2002 Cesar A. Brea