Hardware Install Lab
- Check for required components and unpack
- Power up, verify memory initialization, disk, monitor, etc.
then power off, unplug, disconnect
- Read DIMM install guide, then install DIMMs. NOTE the caution
to make sure the DIMMs are firmly, securely, PROPERLY seated.
- Read p. 19 of Sun Ultra 5/10 HDD install guide, then install
- Use coin to pop of front panel, then pull open "gate"
- verify 'cable select' on disk
- install on 'slide'
- connect IDE cable and power connector
- NOTE: two IDE controllers, up to two devices per controller,
these control device name to operating system. Useful to
understand in event of disk crash! Which disk is dead?
- NOTE: SCSI is different but worth knowing about as well!
- plug in power, monitor, keyboard and boot BEFORE putting
case back on... in case you need to adjust anything.
- put case back on
- Make sure system boots preinstalled OS. Answer system
identity questions: hostname, IP, name service (other!),
subnet mask, timezone
- After booting, check out disk layout ('df'), find out why we
don't like preinstalled OS
NOTE: http://docs.sun.com has been FLAKEY lately... so some of these
links are not currently working. SORRY! Equivalent content can be
found using the Answerbook2 program. If you have installed it, you
can run it with 'answerbook2'.
Sol 7 Sparc Library
Last modified: Sun Jun 13 03:35:16 EDT 1999
Add a comment | Add a link