A Facebook friend’s post:
My 11 year old’s Jewish school was the latest to receive a threat today. Classes were evacuated. I hold Trump accountable for this rise of anti-semitism. This presidency is a complete disaster.
Note that if the threat was made locally, it is statistically unlikely to have been made by a Trump supporter due to the relative lack of Trump enthusiasts in the Boston area. Of course, statistics are not as important as feelings and therefore nobody on Facebook pointed out that the threat against the school was possibly unrelated to the Trumpenfuhrer. Suggestions to emigrate to Canada were made, in response to which a Canadian noted “No better here Jewish community centre in Toronto was evacuated today. Threatening phone call!” Trump has spread hatred over an entire continent, apparently.
Here’s a recent Costco purchase that I hope will help our family pass as Christian:
(If it doesn’t work, I vow to buy and consume another package every day until the hatred stops. No sacrifice is too great.)
Separately, I wonder if I can blame Trump for my jokes falling flat. At a dinner with some MIT grads/students the other night, the following occurred.
- Kid from South Dakota orders sweet and sour chicken.
- Me: Elaborate questioning of the Royal East waiter regarding what was in sweet and sour chicken, was the dish too spicy for non-Chinese, was it maybe a little too adventurous? Did they have any dishes that were more friendly to Western palates?
- 35-year-old guy who belongs to a Conservative synagogue: “I want to be introduced to a Nice Jewish Girl”
- Me: “So she doesn’t have to be a full-fledged Jew? Only Jew-ish?”
- Kid who grew up in South Dakota, buffered by miles of cornfields from any Jews: laughter.
- 35-year-old guy, totally stone-faced: “What do you mean?”