More than a dozen students at an elementary school in Cleveland were admitted to the hospital after being exposed to gummy candy that police say contained marijuana.
Fifteen children, ages 5 to 9, were tested for drugs and released from Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital at University Hospitals Ahuja Medical Center, said Katelyn McCarthy, a media relations strategist at the hospital.
She said that a couple of the children complained of stomachaches.
The police report noted that one of the children tested positive for a mind-altering chemical found in marijuana called tetrahydrocannabinol, also known as THC.
“When young children consume them, they can result in severe symptoms, including dizziness, excessive sleepiness and, in rare circumstances, impair their breathing,” [the toxicologist] said.
It’s key to safely store marijuana products far from where children can see them, said Dr. Suzan Mazor, director of toxicology for Seattle Children’s Hospital and a toxicology consultant for the Washington Poison Center, who was not involved in the Cleveland case.
Also, “make sure to have the poison center phone number on hand for caretakers, grandparents: 1-800-222-1222,” said Mazor, who is also an associate professor of pediatrics and emergency medicine at the University of Washington School of Medicine.
Previously in CNN:
- “10 ways medical marijuana can be used to treat disease” (2015)
- “Rep. Tim Ryan: Marijuana should be legal in all 50 states” (2018): “Congress can change this by passing the Marijuana Justice Act. … To create economic opportunity in communities devastated by mass incarceration, the bill creates a $500 million community reinvestment fund to provide job training for the nascent legal cannabis industry.” (Americans need training in order to sell dope? Or to grow a weed?)
- “Veterans’ grass-roots movement shares health benefits of marijuana” (2018)
- “Dr. Sanjay Gupta to Jeff Sessions: Medical marijuana could save many addicted to opioids” (2018)