A Facebook friend posted the following:
What’s the best money you’ve ever spent? (Money you think was particularly well spent, that is.)
This generated over 200 responses. Sample of those related to children:
No question, the extremely high price tag of buying our eggs, creating embryos and having women carry them to term for us. Worth every penny though. Nothing better in the world than children!
[bunch saying “private school”]
The Paperwork and admin fees of adoption
IVF [my jet-owning physician friends will be happy to read this!]
Car potty with three kids under 7. Best $20 spent.
[inspiration for the not-yet-parents] The Lice lady who came to our house and spent 5 hours on O’s head when he was little!
Divergence of responses from those with female versus male first names:
- My divorce
- yes, amen, my divorce also.
- God bless the broken road
- on my very worst day I can always say, “well, at least I’m divorced!”
- [male] Getting a vasectomy.
- [male] The prenuptial agreement for my first marriage. [but he did it again? note that a prenup wouldn’t have cut down on any of the litigation depicted in the movie Marriage Story; see also Massachusetts Prenuptial Agreements for why these have no effect on the most common and intensive family court lawsuits]
The original poster’s friends are nearly all righteous denouncers of Donald Trump and the Hate for which He stands, yet only one person out of 200 said anything about charity:
- change I gave to a homeless man
Responses such as “Private Disney World Guide” and other personal luxuries were common, on the other hand.
Readers: What would you say to this question?