“Biden calls for nationwide mask mandate” (Associated Press via ABC):
Joe Biden is calling for a nationwide protective mask mandate, citing health experts’ predictions that it could save 40,000 lives from coronavirus over the next three months.
”Wearing the mask is less about you contracting the virus,” Biden said. “It’s about preventing other people from getting sick.”
“This is America. Be a patriot. Protect your fellow citizens. Step up, do the right thing.”
“Every single American should be wearing a mask when they’re outside for the next three months at a minimum — every governor should mandate mandatory mask wearing,” Biden declared.
Is it fair to characterize this as “Old fragile person comes up with a way for young healthy people to sacrifice in hopes that it might benefit him somehow”?
Given this example by Joe Biden, I think that I might have some leadership potential for the national stage. Whenever I am around teenagers these days, I ask “Would you mind staying in a cardboard box for the next three years? It might help me avoid getting Covid-19 and I don’t think it will be uncomfortable for you because it is a pretty big box. You will have Netflix and Zoom.”
A friend wears a mask while flying solo in his open-cockpit Ercoupe (when you fly a 70-year-old single-engine piston aircraft, is Covid-19 your biggest risk?).
- “Effects of wearing N95 and surgical facemasks on heart rate, thermal stress and subjective sensations” (2005): the science was settled back then, and wearing a mask for more than a few minutes was a painful sacrifice. causing “stress and discomfort”
- “Smash Mouth singer mocks coronavirus pandemic at packed Sturgis Motorcycle Rally concert” (ABC): “Videos and photos on social media showed many in the crowd flouting social distancing guidelines and not wearing masks. … More than 250,000 people are expected to attend the 10-day rally, making it one of the largest events to take place during the pandemic.” (attendance at the rally is down only about 7 percent compared to last year)
- “Certain face coverings may be worse than no mask at all, preliminary Duke study finds” (ABC): “Like the common sense of just putting your hand in front of your face, we really thought that any mask would be better than nothing,” Dr. Eric Westman of Duke University said. … “We attribute this to the fleece, the textile, breaking up those big particles into many little particles,” Fischer said. “They tend to hang around longer in the air. They get carried away easier in the air. So this might actually be counterproductive to wear such a mask. So it’s not the case that any mask is better than nothing.” (also covered by Washington Post: “Wearing a neck gaiter may be worse than no mask at all, researchers find”)
- “Face mask may lead to a medical emergency” (City of Cambridge public health overlords)
- https://philip.greenspun.com/blog/2020/06/05/covid-karen/ (in which our hero complains that University of Colorado students are not wearing masks when hiking in the hills)