“On Being Accused” is Neil deGrasse Tyson’s response to “Two More Women Accuse Neil deGrasse Tyson of Sexual Misconduct” (Patheos). The opening sentence:
For a variety of reasons, most justified, some unjustified, men accused of sexual impropriety in today’s “me-too” climate are presumed to be guilty by the court of public opinion.
If it is mostly justified to presume a man guilty, isn’t this accused guy saying that most men are in fact guilty?
Here’s a passage that seems not to have been written with the advice of an expert legal defense team:
Practically everyone she knows on set gets a daily welcome-hug from her. I expressly rejected each hug offered frequently during the Production. But in its place I offered a handshake, and on a few occasions, clumsily declared, “If I hug you I might just want more.” My intent was to express restrained but genuine affection.
Dr. Tyson relates an encounter with Elizabeth Warren:
I never touched her until I shook her hand upon departure. On that occasion, I had offered a special handshake, one I learned from a Native elder…
Do not major in physics:
I entered astrophysics graduate school directly out of college in 1980. It’s a grueling adventure-marathon, and many people do not finish the PhD. In fact, it was not uncommon for half the admitted students to leave after two or three years, finding some other kind of work in their lives.
Regarding a survivor:
For me, what was most significant, was that in this new life, long after dropping out of astrophysics graduate school, she was posting videos of colored tuning forks endowed with vibrational therapeutic energy that she channels from the orbiting planets.
Shouldn’t it be “tuning forks of color”?
- “The wife fights the plaintiffs, physics edition”
- “Stellar evolution in the #MeToo era” (“I’m wondering if it would be fair to say that cosmologist Lawrence Krauss is transitioning from red giant to white dwarf.”)
- video of Lawrence Krauss and Neil deGrasse Tyson sharing a stage
- episode of Cosmos on the greenhouse effect and global warming (Dr. Tyson describes every mechanism of positive feedback for the temperature and CO2 concentration of Planet Earth and almost none of the negative feedback mechanisms; the viewer will be shocked that we haven’t already gone Full Venus)
- “Neil deGrasse Tyson unleashes hot fire on Trump in angry tweetstorm” (so the accused man is not completely virtue-free)